Board of Trustees Election Web Posting
Channing ISD Election Information:
PO Box 9
Channing, TX. 79018
Benny Moore - 2024 President
Jay West - 2023 Vice-President
Penny Loudder - 2024 Secretary
Orlando Camacho - 2025 Member
Kirk Dahl - 2023 Member
Monnie Harris - 2025 Member
Sandy Bob Morris - 2025 Member
Date and Location of next election:
May 6, 2023
Hartley County Courthouse
900 Main Street
Channing, Tx 79018
Requirements and the deadline for filing for candidacy:
The first day to file for a place on General Election Ballot:
Wednesday, January 18, 2023
The last day to file for a place on the General Election Ballot:
Friday, February 17, 2023 @ 4:00 p.m.
900 Greenwood Ave.
Channing, TX. 79018
To be eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, the office of a school board member, a person must: 0)
1. Be a United States citizen.
2. Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
3. Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
4. Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
5. Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date:
a. For an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate's application for a place on the ballot.
b. For a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate's name is written in.
c. For an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made.
6. Be registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described at item 5, above.
Election Code 1.020, 141.001(a); Gov’t Code 601.009; Brown v. Patterson, 609 S.W.2d 287 (Tex. Civ. App.—Dallas 1980, no writ); Tex. Const. Art. XVI, Sec. 14
A person may not be elected trustee of an independent school district unless the person is a qualified voter. Education Code 11.061(b)
“Qualified voter” means a person who: 0.
1. Is 18 years of age or older;
2. Is a United States citizen;
3. Has not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
4. Has not been finally convicted of a felony [see also Atty. Gen. Op. LO 96-114 (1996) (concluding that caveat at Election Code 11.002 does not mitigate blanket prohibition in Election Code 141.001, above at Eligibility)];
5. Is a resident of this state; and
6. Is a registered voter.
Election Code 1.020, 11.002
“Residence” means domicile, one’s home and fixed place of habitation to which one intends to return after any temporary absence; one does not lose one’s residence status by leaving to go to another place for temporary purposes only. A person does not acquire a residence in a place to which the person has come for temporary purposes only and without the intention of making that place the person's home. Residence shall be determined in accordance with the common-law rules, as enunciated by the courts of this state, except as otherwise provided by the Election Code. Election Code 1.015
A candidate for board member representing a single-member district must be a resident of the district the candidate seeks to represent. Education Code 11.052(g)
A person is ineligible to serve as a member of the board of a district if the person has been convicted of an offense under Penal Code 43.02(b) (regarding prostitution). Education Code 11.066
Notice of Candidate Filing Period for May 6, 2023, Regular School Board Election
Application for Channing ISD General Election (English/Spanish)